July 22, 2007 - Kochi (Cochin), India


"I made him an offer he couldn't refuse."
~ The Godfather

Today we flew from Chennai to Kochi (the British Spelling is Cochin). Throughout our travels, I have been performing a little experiment. I brought my latest cross stitch project with me. Once, I accidentally left my sewing scissors in my carry-on bag and they cleared security.

After three airports, today I was finally caught. The security guard went through my bags and found the cross stitch + scissors. He asked me about my "craft". He was really impressed that the American had a "craft." Bobbing his head left to right in traditional Hindu agreement, he decided, "I like you craft. You can keep your scissors."

Perhaps in a culture where one's "craft" defines their worth, international laws are meaningless if that "craft" is being pursued.

Note to self: Always travel with your "craft". It will earn you respect in the least likely places.

Popular Posts