November 17, 2010 - San Francisco

Last cabbage harvested just days before leaving to China
"You really ought to know
I really out to know
Oh, you know I should, 
you know I should,
you know I should..."
~Led Zeppelin, Over the Hills & Far Away, Verse VII

Even before leaving U.S. soil, the feeling of immersion in Chinese culture came rushing back from just three months ago.  Preparing to enter the international travel airport security check-point, the pushing and shoving to be first in line began.  It appears the majority of international flights out of San Francisco are destined for Mexico and cities throughout Asia.  As far as I can tell, most travelers are China bound.

On U.S. flights and past Korean Air flights to Asia, people quietly and orderly find their seats and get settled.  Not on China Air.  Yelling, clamoring, shoving. and all Western-accepted-bubbles of personal-space quickly vanish on the primarily Chinese residing China Air.  The familiarity of sights, sounds, and smells were so comfortable, it felt as if I never left three months ago.  My greatest China Air disappointment, no personal TV screen with dozens of movie choices.

I have a FF relationship with China - Fascination & Frustration.  The amount of corruption practiced within this culture by everyone from government, to businesses, to many individuals is sickening.  Foreigners are bull-eye targets; sometimes paying 400% more for a service or product than a local Han Chinese.  I have never felt so manipulated in a country before... yet, I am back.  What does this say?

Creating passionate curriculum, interacting with highly motivated educators, discovering the world, reflecting on the U.S. & Oregon's role in the global community, disseminating stereo-types, finding empathy, and much... much more.  Participating in these study tours nourishes me.

Popular Posts