December 30, 2012 - Madrid & Toledo, Spain

Toledo, Spain
"I love sleep.  My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?"
                                             ~ Ernest Hemingway

   

August 3, 1998 Journal Entry
Madrid, Spain

I just want to recap today (August 2nd) for future humor.  Right now it is 12:30 am (August 3rd).  We are sleeping in a very upscale train station which we partially broke into.  We have spent the last 26 hours on three different trains from Paris to Madrid.  We met a bunch of really great people including a woman from Madrid named Maria - she clued us into life in Spain.  The only thing I have eaten today has been two Kit Kat candy bars and a loaf of bread w/butter.  I'm over bread - that's all I've eaten for the last month.  I also discovered today that the structure of my pack is all f#@*'d up - possibly broken.  Pretty great since today is only my second official day backpacking Europe.  All I can do is laugh.  Someday I'll look back in retrospect to this trip, and say I wouldn't change a thing.
+ Around 1 am last night we got kicked out of the train station & on to the streets.  'D' went to call [her now husband] so she was nowhere to be found.  We were so scared.  All these crazy thoughts were running through my head such as being kidnapped or/and worse.  It took us over an hour to find 'D' - the guards didn't see her & locked her in.  She was still on the phone.  We ended up pulling our sleeping bags out & sleeping in a corner on the street outside the station.  It's now 10:30am, I haven't changed or showered in three days.  I just paid 300pts. or $4.00 for a lemonade which is giving me a headache. 
+It's funny how many good people there are in Spain.  There's also a large number of good looking Americans walking around.  There are few things I feel like I have to do on this trip.  I don't want to do the tourist stuff.  I want to hang out with the people & take in the culture.  The only thing I really want to do is scuba dive and the only thing 'D' really wants to do is see her grandfather's church & back-country camp in Switzerland.

*Note: I did scuba dive in Nice, France.  We did attempt to find 'D's' grandfather's church in Bari, Italy to no avail.  And we spent a week back-country camping in the Swiss Alps.

Popular Posts